Friday, April 30, 2010

Our ABC Books

My oldest daughter (9) made ABC books for my other daughter (4) and my son (3) for Christmas.  Both of my preschoolers are needing to learn their letters.  We started talking one day and realized that everytime we tried to tell my son what a letter said, we were referring it to a super hero.  For example, B says "bbb" as in Batman.  So, this is where the idea for the books was born. 

The books were 8x8 scrapbooks that can be found in any craft or scrapbooking store.  We made one for each child with leftover alphabet stickers.  My nine-year-old put these books together by herself, but my four year old could've done it as well.  For the pictures for the page, I used a variety of things.

This is a Batman sticker I had left over from a scrapbook page I did for my son.


The Wolverine and Tinkerbell pictures are just pictures that I found online and printed off.

This is the insert from our Aladdin movie...you know those annoying inserts that the kids rip up and you find all over your house.

This is actually a 12x12 piece of scrapbook paper that I cut down to 8x8.

My kids are able to look through the books and practice their letter sounds with pictures of characters that they are familiar with and enjoy.  My three year old likes to make up stories to go along with all of his pictures.

2 comments:

  1. THIS IS AWESOME! Not only is the idea really good, but your oldest got to take part in teaching, which is priceless. You can buy hundreds of ABC books that are out there, but there has to be that one thing that makes it click with your child. I worked for so long with Caleb and all at once he learned his letters and letter sounds from the LeapFrog video.

    By the way, thanks for the suggestion on my blog. The Science looks really cool, my concern is that it starts at 1st grade and not Kindergarten. Since we are starting Caleb early as it is, I'm reluctant to push him that far. He is 4 now, and will be 5 in October. I'm beginning to think I may not have much structure to science this year; it might be more project based and less comprehensive until he is ready for that kind of critical thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany,
    I wouldn't worry about science at all in kindergarten. Seriously...just spend time together, do a lot of reading....for science, take nature walks and talk about the plants and the trees.

    ReplyDelete