Thursday, April 29, 2010

Book Review: Sister's Grimm Series

I'm realizing this is turning into a book review page.  Something I didn't intend, but hey, whatever works....

I am a book nut.  I can't remember a time that I wasn't in the middle of a book.  Both my parents and my husband are the same way.  We are constantly reading.  My husband is more of a non-fiction guy...always absorbing information that he will use later.  I, on the other hand, prefer fiction.  I love mysteries, thrillers, who-done-its.  I love trying to figure it out.  If I can figure it out too early in the book, I usually don't read that author again.

So, on to today's book review...or should I say review of a series of books.  This series would be more for older kids.  We actually came across this series by accident.  My daughter picked up one of them on CD (we listen to a lot of books on CD in the van). We loved it so much, we went back, got the first book and have listened to all of them.  Book 8 just came out and we can't wait to start reading it!

The series is called The Sisters Grimm.  Like I said, it might be for older kids, as it has small amounts of fairy tale violence in it (nothing worse than Snow White or Sleeping Beauty).  The books follow Daphne and Sabrina Grimm who find out they are descended from the Brothers Grimm.  They learn that all fairy tales are actually real and that the charcters in these tales are called Everafters.  It is their family's job to write the accounts of all the Everafters' lives. 

It's fun to recognize all the characters.  Snow White is a teacher at the elementary school, Prince Charming is the mayor, the Three Little Pigs are policemen. 

I've posted a link to the first book for you to check out.  Like I said, you might want to read it first before you let younger children listen, but my kids were fine with it.  The quality of the reading on CD is wonderful if you wanted to go through them that way. 

1 comment: